On September 1, 2011, the new Provincial Distracted Driving Law came into effect. The law is one of the most comprehensive in the country and will improve road safety in Calgary by restricting drivers from the following:
- using hand-held cell phones
- texting or e-mailing
- using electronic devices like laptop computers, video games, cameras, video entertainment displays and programming portable audio players (e.g., MP3 players)
- entering information on GPS units
- reading printed materials in the vehicle
- writing, printing or sketching
- personal grooming
For more information, click on the following link to be taken to the
Government of Alberta Transportation website.
To sign a pledge not to drive while distracted please visit the following link www.YourPledge.ca
If you have a complaint about traffic issues in your community please follow this link to our Traffic Service Request form.
November photo enforcement locations
In response to community needs identified through statistical analysis, collisions, and citizen concerns, mobile photo radar will be set up on Crowchild Trail N., Sarcee Trail N. and Memorial Drive throughout November.
Photo radar will also be set up in the communities of Oakridge, Woodbine and Glenbrook.
Photo radar will continue to be actively deployed in school and playground zones, as well as construction zones throughout the city.
As well as photo radar, there are 51 Intersection Safety Camera (ISC) locations throughout the city. A number of cameras rotate through these locations and can photograph vehicles entering the intersections during all phases of the signal.
There are 39 cameras that rotate through the ISC locations that are capable of capturing red light infractions.
These cameras continue to reduce collisions and foster a safer driving environment at our intersections.
The speed on green initiative uses up to 28 of these ISC locations to capture vehicles that speed through green and yellow lights. Speeding fines reflect how fast you are travelling over the limit. Speeds in excess of 50 km/hr over the speed limit result in an appearance before the judge.
These drivers not only put themselves in danger, but they also endanger the lives of others.
A full list of Intersection Safety Camera locations is listed below:
- 001 - Macleod Tr/162nd Avenue S.E.
- 002 - Macleod Trail/12th Avenue S.E.
- 003 - Centre Street/20 Avenue North
- 004 - John Laurie Boulevard/53 Street N.W.
- 005 - 68th Street/16th Avenue N.E.
- 006 - Sarcee Trail/Richmond Road S.W.
- 007 - 4th Street/6th Avenue S.W.
- 008 - 61st Avenue/Barlow Trail S.E.
- 009 - Crowchild Trail/24th Avenue N.W.
- 010 - 11th Avenue/4th Street S.W.
- 011 - 11th Avenue/14th Street S.W.
- 012 - 17th Avenue/44th Street S.E.
- 013 - 14th Street/Heritage Drive S.W.
- 014 - 14th Street/Northmount Drive N.W. (Southbound)
- 015 - 64th Avenue/4th Street N.E.
- 016 - Anderson Road/Acadia Drive S.E.
- 017 - 9th Avenue/11th Street S.W.
- 018 - Barlow Trail/32nd Avenue N.E.
- 019 - 52nd Street /32 Avenue N.E.
- 020 - Bowness Road/Shaganappi Trail N.W.
- 021 - Canyon Meadows Drive/Bowbottom Trail S.E.
- 022 - Southland Drive/Acadia Drive S.E.
- 023 - Fairmount Drive/Southland Drive S.E.
- 024 - Elbow Drive/Southland Drive S.W.
- 025 - Beddington Trail/Centre Street North
- 026 - Falconridge Boulevard/64th Avenue N.E.
- 027 - 1st Street/17th Avenue S.E.
- 028 - McKnight Boulevard/Barlow Trail N.E.
- 029 - Barlow Trail/Centre Avenue East
- 030 - Shaganappi Trail/Northland Drive N.W.
- 031 - Blackfoot Trail/42 Avenue S.E.
- 032 - Memorial Drive/52 Street N.E.
- 033 - 16th Avenue/10 Street N.W.
- 034 - Edmonton Trail/McKnight Boulevard N.E.
- 035 - Memorial Drive/28th Street N.E.
- 036 - Macleod Trail/7th Avenue S.E.
- 037 - Bow Trail/33rd Street S.W.
- 038 - 17th Avenue/33rd Street S.W.
- 039 - Elbow Drive/Heritage Drive S.W.
- 040 - Country Hills Boulevard/Beddington Trail N.W.
- 041 - Glenmore Trail/Barlow Trail S.E.
- 042 - McKnight Boulevard/Falconridge Boulevard N.E.
- 043 - Macleod Trail/25th Avenue S.E.
- 044 - Country Hills Boulevard/14th Street N.W.
- 045 - Deerfoot Trail/16th Avenue N.E.
- 046 - Macleod Trail/Sunvalley Boulevard S.W.
- 047 - Deerfoot Trail/Memorial Drive N.E.
- 048 - 16th Avenue/Canada Olympic Drive S.W.
- 049 - 14th Street/Northmount Drive N.W. (Northbound)
- 050 - 68 Street/16th Avenue N.E.
- 051 - Glenmore Trail/52 Street S.E.
All locations are accurate at the time of publishing but subject to change without notice.
The Calgary Police Service thanks the citizens of Calgary for their support.
Updated: Monday, November 05, 2012 3:30 PM